Ties That Bind
Rug hookers tell the stories of this place, its people, and its past with simple techniques and complex passion for creating something new out of yarns and fabrics.
RHGNL is pleased to offer its members opportunities to learn, network and share ideas as we continue to enhance our skills in the age-old craft of rug hooking.
Membership in RHGNL offers:
- Our quarterly newsletter features stories of rug hooking interest from around the province, as well as tips, techniques, and ideas to strengthen your rug hooking skills
- Certified Guild Rug Hooking Instructors offer courses throughout the province (and we offer training for members to become certified instructors)
- Our annual three-day Rug School is held in August, with classes for all skill levels; members are eligible to apply for a bursary to help cover costs
- Members are invited to participate in Guild sponsored exhibitions, mat challenges, and special rug hooking projects
- The Guild encourages business opportunities for members
- Through formal and informal channels, members are linked to rug hookers around the world
- You help preserve the history of traditional Newfoundland rug hooking for future generations to enjoy.
What our members say:
“I meet other like-minded people, from all over North America, every one of whom has their own story and artistic influences. We learn from each other, growing creatively along the way…””
– Lynn Torraville, Newfoundland and Labrador
“Rug hooking is a deep connection to creativity and passion. It’s very comforting to be connected to a group of folks that share your passion and exchange their stories. So much can be learned from the mentorship of other members – and not just about the hooking! A cultural exchange is woven into every loop. It’s a different story in every location, hook-in, workshop, and event”.
– Lisa Meecham, Ontario
“RHGNL—neatest caring ladies and gents, magnificent friendships and tons of camaraderie. Great rug camps filled with fun times and learning, taught by top notch guild teachers.””
– Betty Heath, Minnesota, USA (Betty has attended every rug school since 1998)
As with any craft, rug hooking can help to maintain a well-balanced healthy YOU:
- Improves hand-brain coordination; sharpens the mind as color, direction, and methods are thought through
- Boosts self-esteem through the creation and completion of rug hooking projects
- Relieves stress by allowing you to focus on something else; its calming effect enhances the mind’s ability to focus
- Strengthens social skills and expands friendship circles as people gather to learn and hook rugs together
Still not convinced? Reach out to a RHGNL member and get started. Once you try it out, you will be “hooked”.
Join the Rug Hooking Guild of Newfoundland and Labrador and discover a history as deep as the ocean and a future as broad as your imagination.