RHGNL is pleased to offer its members opportunities to learn, network and share ideas as we continue to enhance our skills in the age-old craft of rug hooking.
Membership in RHGNL offers:
- A quarterly Newsletter highlighting stories of rug hooking interest from around the province and beyond. Each edition features tips, techniques, and ideas to strengthen your rug hooking skills.
- RHGNL is a provincial organization. Being a member links you to rug hookers province wide.
- Membership enables you to be part of rug hooking groups across regional and local areas. You will make new friends and learn new skills through these hooking events.
- Guild members enjoy reduced rates for Guild sponsored workshops that occur at various locations throughout the province.
- Members can take advantage of reduced fees for the Guild’s annual Rug Hooking School.
- Members are eligible to apply for a bursary for the Guild’s Rug Hooking School.
- Guild members can take part in exhibitions, mat challenges, and special hooking projects.
- RHGNL offers a teacher training program for eligible members who wish to be certified as a Guild Teacher.
- As a member of RHGNL, you are part of a community that is helping to preserve the heritage, consequently actively promoting the craft of rug hooking for future generations to enjoy.
What our members say:
“I meet other like-minded people, from all over North America, every one of whom has their own story and artistic influences. We learn from each other, growing creatively along the way…””
– Lynn Torraville, Newfoundland and Labrador
“Rug hooking is a deep connection to creativity and passion. It’s very comforting to be connected to a group of folks that share your passion and exchange their stories. So much can be learned from the mentorship of other members – and not just about the hooking! A cultural exchange is woven into every loop. It’s a different story in every location, hook-in, workshop, and event”.
– Lisa Meecham, Ontario
“RHGNL—neatest caring ladies and gents, magnificent friendships and tons of camaraderie. Great rug camps filled with fun times and learning, taught by top notch guild teachers.””
– Betty Heath, Minnesota, USA (Betty has attended every rug school since 1998)
As with any craft, rug hooking can help to maintain a well-balanced healthy YOU:
- Improvement of hand-brain coordination; sharpening the mind as color, direction, and methods are thought through
- Creating something personally can enhance self-esteem
- Helps relieve stress, depression, and anxietyby allowing you to focus on something else
- It can have a calming effect allowing the mind to better able to focus
- Can enhance social skills as people gather to learn together
Still not convinced? Reach out to a RHGNL member and get started. Once you try it out, you will be “hooked”.