Joan Foster, who is considered to be a local expert in rug hooking, makes her home in Springdale, NL. She is a founding member of our Guild and has held several executive positions including President during which time she was instrumental for the Heritage Hooked Mat Registry which began in 1997. Other major contributions to our Guild was with the 2006 publication of our book “Hooked Mats of Newfoundland and Labrador: Beauty Born of Necessity” and the coordination of the Light House Project in celebration of 50 years of the Canadian Coast Guard in Newfoundland and Labrador. (Click here to see more on these projects)
Since retiring from teaching business administration at the adult level, Joan offers beginner to advanced classes, specializing in pictorials. She has a special interest in the Grenfell hooking with hosiery style of rug hooking. In 2006, Joan co-ordinated and instructed a 10 week rug hooking course for the College of the North Atlantic in St. Anthony in an effort to renew Grenfell style mat hooking in that area. (Click here to see more on Dr. Wilfred Grenfell and The Industrial)
Certifications & Awards
- Certified Rug Hooking Instructor for NL Rug Hooking Guild.
- 1996 Skill and Technique Award for a hooked mat – Green Bay Agricultural Fall Fair Craft and Competition
- 1998 Demonstrated rug hooking, Canadian Museum of Civilization in Hull, Quebec
- 2001 and 2016 First Place Ribbons – NL Women’s Institutes Triennial Convention Craft Competition
- 2003 NL Craft Council first award for Preservation of Traditional Craft Skill
- 2004 RHGNL Life Time Membership
- 2005 NL Craft Council Members’ Exhibit Technical Excellence for entry: Salt Cod and Handbars
- 2007 Artist in Residence at Battle Harbour Historic Site in Labrador
Joan has exhibited at Canadian Museum of Civilization in Hull, Quebec; The Rooms in St. John’s, NL, Craft Council of Newfoundland and Labrador and wherever her travels take her to instruct. She holds a ‘Crafts of Character’ Certification from the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and is a Juried Member of the Craft Council of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Her mats have been featured in Rug Hooking Magazine, A Needle Pulling Thread, and other publications including various Guild newsletters.
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia
- Sauder Village, Ohio, USA
- Newfoundland and Labrador Rug Hooking Guild, Teacher Certification 2003
- The International Guild of Handhooking Rugmakers (TIGHR)
T: (709) 673-3086